Tuesday, March 30

What to do?

I have a great-grandma that is 96 years old now.

she is currently bedridden and has to rely on others all the time. tasks that she can do now are breathing and eating. with the body functions deteriorating at an unpredictable rate, we do not know when she will leave us. mentally and emotionally I am suppose to be prepared for her to go anytime.

knowing that she is the one that bathe me for the first time when I arrived in this world, I wish now that she can hold my hands firmly again. she always tells me about the importance of gaining knowledge, about how I should learn to be a strong girl and about how I should make my parents proud by being a good girl. as I grow older I start to know her more, she used to be a strong person too! and she lived with pride all her life...

all the way up till these few years where she had to move around with the aid of a walking stick. now she survives on formula and medications just to maintain the organs' functions. no longer being able to speak clearly, the only way of communication whenever I see her is through holding her hands and speaking from the heart. every word she speaks now uses enormous amount of energy.

despite her inability, she still tells me to buck up in my studies and live my life properly. she lived her life caring for everyone around her. true enough that 'because you love, you care', now I am so scared that this love of mine will be parting me soon.

No comments: